FC3 continually hanging or crashing machine. . OK when X not running. OK in FC2

Clive at Rational clive at rational-communications.com
Thu Jun 23 10:26:40 UTC 2005

--- Edward Dekkers <edward at tripled.iinet.net.au>
wrote:

> Here is a good place to ask questions Clive.
>
> Here is your video card:
>
> > 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI
> Technologies
> > Inc Radeon R250 Lf [Radeon Mobility 9000 M9] (rev
> 01)
> >

> Try going to http://www.ati.com
>
> Click on the drivers & software menu option
>
> Click on Linux Drivers and software
>
> Click on "Linux x86
>
>          * RADEON 8500 Series and higher"
>
> Click on "ATI Proprietary Linux x86 Drivers for
> XFree86 / X.Org Version
> 8.14.13"
>
> Read and download what you need.

Hello,

   I successfully installed the ATI driver on the
Linux machine. The ATI install also creates a new
graphical utility which is mainLy for controlling the
images on "dual-head" cards - but not the other screen
parameters such as resolution

The supplied (fglrxconfig) configuration script allows
one to control very many parameters in the xorg.conf
file - but it can be difficult to decide which is the
appropriate setting for the ATI card.

Shame is - I booted FC3 OK with the new driver but
again my machine has frozen under FC3 while in X. The
keyboard and mouse are not responded to. I cannot
Telnet into the machine to run a shutdown command -
telnet client just waits for a response from the hung
FC3. Strangely, the machine DOES repond to PING but
that's not enough to trigger a reboot. Ho hum, I will
have to power it down and get all those inode and
directory failures.

So situation seems to be with latest ATI drivers:

FC2 - stable in command line and running X
FC3 - stable in command line, hangs / freezes when
running X.

Any other ideas anyone?

Clive