Screensavers for FC4?

Bart Kalita bartk at clara.co.uk
Thu Jun 23 11:45:59 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-06-22 at 22:54 -0400, Jim Cornette wrote:

> .xscreensaver is a hidden file. Did you use nautilus to look for the
> file? It would not be displayed if hidden files were not unhid.
>
> Try this:
> Open a terminal from Applications --> System Tools Terminal. A terminal
> should open.
> In the terminal type the below at the prompt.
> rm .xscreensaver
> xscreensaver-demo
>
> When the screen saver comes up, you should be at the default settings.
> Your previous settings will not be there.  Set them to your liking and
> then close down the application. If there still is not all of the
> screensavers displayed, list the output of installed programs.
>
> in the terminal, type the below and report back what the output to the
> terminal is.
> rpm -qa | grep xscreensaver
> I get the output below:
> xscreensaver-gl-extras-4.21-4
> xscreensaver-extras-4.21-4
> xscreensaver-base-4.21-4
>
> I'm just trying to be complete. I added the additional steps to be safe.
>
> Jim
>

> --
>  "I've finally learned what `upward compatible' means.	It means we
>   get to keep all our old mistakes."
>  -- Dennie van Tassel

[bart at nemesis ~]$ rm .xscreensaver
[bart at nemesis ~]$ xscreensaver-demo
xscreensaver-demo: 06:50:01: realpath /home/bart/.xscreensaver: No such
file or directory
xscreensaver-demo: 06:50:01: realpath /home/bart/.xscreensaver: No such
file or directory
[bart at nemesis ~]$

No Change

All the rpms removed with --nodeps option .xscreensaver file removed and
files reinstalled via yum, reboot, no change in the screensaver list but
xscreensaver-demo works and selected screensaver starts without locking
the screen with the password.

now everything works just fine.

but there is still no full list of screensavers when looked at form:
right click desktop, configure desktop, screen saver.

anyway, thanx for all your help.

Bart Kalita  MCP

Registered Linux user #347493   Fedora Core Rawhide

www.bart-domain.com    www.astradine.net