DHCP not starting

ross.yelland at au.schneider-electric.com ross.yelland at au.schneider-electric.com
Fri Jun 24 07:06:07 UTC 2005

Hi list,

I have a FC3 box with firestarter as the Firewall.  We have fiddled with
the box and the dhcpd.conf file generated by firestarter to tie
ipaddresses to MAC's.  The now get an error message saying unable to bind
to Ethernet port.  Eth0 is our WAN port (no DHCP required) and Eth1 is our
LAN port.  Below is the dhcpd.conf and the error message.

Regards

P configuration generated by Firestarter
ddns-update-style interim;
ignore client-updates;

subnet 10.0.1.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
        option routers 10.0.1.1;
        option subnet-mask 255.255.255.0;
        option domain-name-servers 139.130.4.4, 139.158.96.12;
        option ip-forwarding off;
        range dynamic-bootp 10.0.1.100 10.0.1.200;
        default-lease-time 21600;
        max-lease-time 43200;
}

host he1 {
        hardware ethernet 00:08:BC:00:61:A2;
        fixed-address 10.0.1.10;
}

host he2 {
        hardware ethernet 00:08:BC:00:61:A3;
        fixed-address 10.0.1.11;

Error message

Internet Systems Consortium DHCP Server V3.0.1
Copyright 2004 Internet Systems Consortium.
All rights reserved.
For info, please visit http://www.isc.org/sw/dhcp/
Wrote 0 deleted host decls to leases file.
Wrote 0 new dynamic host decls to leases file.
Wrote 0 leases to leases file.
Listening on LPF/eth1/00:04:ac:b8:28:2c/10.0.1/24
Sending on   LPF/eth1/00:04:ac:b8:28:2c/10.0.1/24

No subnet declaration for eth0 (203.49.234.90).
** Ignoring requests on eth0.  If this is not what
   you want, please write a subnet declaration
   in your dhcpd.conf file for the network segment
   to which interface eth0 is attached. **

Can't bind to dhcp address: Permission denied
Please make sure there is no other dhcp server
running and that there's no entry for dhcp or
bootp in /etc/inetd.conf.   Also make sure you
are not running HP JetAdmin software, which
includes a bootp server.
If you did not get this software from ftp.isc.org, please
get the latest from ftp.isc.org and install that before
requesting help.

If you did get this software from ftp.isc.org and have not
yet read the README, please read it before requesting help.
If you intend to request help from the dhcp-server at isc.org
mailing list, please read the section on the README about
submitting bug reports and requests for help.

Please do not under any circumstances send requests for
help directly to the authors of this software - please
send them to the appropriate mailing list as described in
the README file.

exiting.

Ross