NetworkManager, Wireless and Fedora FC4

Preston Kutzner grdnwsl at mrichi.com
Fri Jun 24 13:38:10 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-06-17 at 09:41 -0400, Ray Hooker wrote:
> One of the biggest pains with the Redhat line is the weak support for
> wireless (even a very old version of Knoppix automatically detects and
> sets up cards).  It appears that there is a new app to fix it:
>
> http://people.redhat.com/dcbw/NetworkManager
>
> I also see it referenced in Clemson's HOWTO:
>
> http://www.ces.clemson.edu/linux/nm.shtml
>
> I was excited.  I installed FC4 from scratch.  I noticed that
> NetworkManager was installed but NetworkManager and NetworkManager
> Dispatcher were not running.  Also noticed that FC4 seems to detect my
> Aironet PCI in my Thinkpad T42P.  Iwconfig shows it.  It even detected
> the SSID of my Linksys which temporarily had broadcast set to on.  The
> problem is that it does not have an address and there is no cool icon
> on the task bar in GNOME.  I did notice in KDE that there is a applet
> for Wireless network monitor.
>
> **** I WANT TO DO THIS OUT OF BOX and not with hacks as this new tool
> is supposed to just "work".
>
> So I started the two services (NetworkManager and NetworkManager
> Dispatcher).  I still see no applet on the task bar nor is it listed
> in the possible applets.  NetworkManager-Gnome as well as
> NetworkManager appears to already be installed.  I even did a YUM
> update (yum install...) just to make sure I had the latest and
> rebooted.  Still no taskbar icon.  The Clemson help page mentions
> nm-applet, but I can't seem to find the file, nor am I able to find
> "Startup Programs tab in the gnome-session-properties application" in
> the FC4 GNOME menus.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.  Again I want to make so that I use as
> much built in as possible and avoid other packages and hacks unless
> needed to support a particular card (e.g, Cisco or Intel Wireless such
> as IPW2200).. I did look and see that the Cisco ACU appears to be old
> and may not apply to this particular PCI card.  I am not sure the
> model as even WindowsXP does not indicate anything more than Aironet
> PCI.
>
> Ray

I'm having problems getting NetworkManager to work correctly on my
ThinkPad T30, with the built-in wireless (Prism 2.5 chipset).  By
default Fedora uses the orinoco drivers, which do work, and I can get my
wireless card working, but I have to activate it manually every time
through the 'Network' panel..  I've got the latest version (cvs packages
mentioned in the clemson walk-through) installed, but I can't get it to
find any networks around it.  Anybody know of any tricks to get this
working with my card?

--
Preston Kutzner | Network Administrator