How can I use CD Player? [SECOND (better) question]

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Fri Jun 24 14:55:48 UTC 2005

Hoffmann wrote:
> --- "N. James Bridge" <james at xmas.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>

>>On Thu, 2005-06-23 at 17:31 -0700, Hoffmann wrote:
>>
>>>Hi All:
>>>
>>>I am new to Fedora, and I still didn't realize how
>>
>>can
>>
>>>I use CD Player. I put a CD into the CD drive, I
>>
>>push
>>
>>>the 'play' button and nothing hapened.
>>>Could anyone explain me how to use CD Player?
>>
>>Do you see a cd icon appear on the screen, with the
>>legend "Audio Disc"?
>>If so, double click on it and all will become
>>clear...
>>
>>James
>>
>>--
>>

> Hi All:
>
> I do know that, right after putting a CD into the CD
> drive, automatically the CD Player screen appears on
> the screen. The problem is: when I push the PLAY
> button nothing happens. It seems like it is not
> possible to play a CD from the CD (drive), or the CD
> Player is ignoring the CD that is into the CD dive? I
> mean, with Fedora, all we need to do is to rippe the
> CD first? If that is the case, multimedia should be
> improved a lot on linux. Right now, all the time I
> want to listen to a CD (without to ripe it first), I
> need to move to Windows. Well, I would like to do that
> with Fedora, instead.
> Any new hint?
> Thanks!
> Hoffmann

I very rarely just play a CD on the computer anymore.  But if you want
to just play, follow the original reply.

When you press play, and nothing happens, does this mean that the CD
does not even spin?  Or that the CD spins and there is no sound?  What
program are you trying to use?  I have at least three different
players on my machine.  Of course there is one other question, is this
a standard CD or a copy protected CD that will only play in Windows?
I have had one of those and it required Windows to play on a computer.
  It was in the fine print on the CD.

I have never had a problem just playing a CD in Linux since I started
using Linux at home.  DVD's have been more of an issue but not that much.

--
Robin Laing