Fedora extras limited time for security fixes

Michael Schwendt mschwendt.tmp0501.nospam at arcor.de
Fri Jun 24 16:07:17 UTC 2005

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 09:48:56 -0400, Adam Gibson wrote:

>  From what I have read on the fedora-legacy list they are not planning
> on taking on extras after fedora EOL's FC4.  Any packages that were
> installed from extras would then not get any security updates at that
> point... only the base packages will get security fixes from fedora legacy.
>
> I have noticed that some server apps have been moved from base to extras
> in FC4.  This might become a problem for users that have used packages
> from base in FC3 that are now in the extras repository of FC4.
>
> Is there any chance of moving some of those server packages like cyrus*
> for the upcoming FC5 from extras back to base so that security fixes
> will continue when fedora legacy picks up support for security fixes or
> has this already been thought of and another solution exists?

The obvious solution for this is that community volunteers take over the
maintenance of such security relevant packages in Fedora Extras for legacy
distribution versions. The fact is that the package maintainers at Fedora
Extras may be able/motivated to support packages for only the last two or
three distribution releases. However, the project is open enough for
additional volunteers to join and help.

--
Michael Schwendt <mschwendt at users.sf.net>
Fedora Core release 4 (Stentz) - Linux 2.6.11-1.1369_FC4