Why FC4 using the Jpackage 1.4.2 Java?

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Sat Jun 25 15:59:27 UTC 2005

Am Sa, den 25.06.2005 schrieb ha haha um 17:16:

> The 1.4.2 tree and 1.5 tree difference is something
> like difference 2.4 kernel tree and 2.6 kernel tree,
> both kernel trees are well maintained. But when you
> have a chance to install a new machine, would you
> prefer 2.4 kernel over 2.6? either for security or for
> features or for performance or for easy maintenance?

Your cited yourself the FC4 release notes recommendation:

"Sun Java 1.5+ is recommended for stability purposes."

So what's your point?

> > I don't really understand what confuses you. You may
> > review Sun's page
> > and the jpackage.org page (non-free section!).
> >

> I want a FREE version, best open-sources if possible,
> of everything on FC4 Linux.

Sun's Java isn't free - period. Then live with the Java FC4 ships with
in Core.

> Offering an old free demonstration version to allure
> users to pay for non-free version can not touch me at
> all, if this is the case.

What is the "old free demonstration version" you speak about? Where do
you have to "pay" for a non-free version?

Alexander

P.S. It would be nice to speak to someone with a real name.

Serendipity 17:56:02 up 48 min, 17 average: 0.27, 0.21, 0.18