FC4 tar is out of control

Mogens Kjaer mk at crc.dk
Sat Jun 25 16:25:46 UTC 2005

Gérard Milmeister wrote:
> On Sat, 2005-06-25 at 14:19 +0200, Mogens Kjaer wrote:
>>I don't think star is present when you boot in rescue mode,
>>making it difficult to do a bare metal recovery of the system.
>
> If you make the star archive GNU tar compatible, you combine the
> convenience of creation using star and the compatibility with tar during
> rescue mode.

I use star to back up an ACL enabled ext3 /home partition. I had
to make this a separate partition so that I could:

1. restore /boot and / from rescue mode with tar.
2. boot.
3. restore /home with star.

Mogens
Phone: +45 33 27 53 25, Fax: +45 33 27 47 08
Email: mk at crc.dk Homepage: http://www.crc.dk