internet connection - PPPoE setup?

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Sun Jun 26 02:26:25 UTC 2005

jamie murray wrote:

> Has anyone had any problems running  ADSL(PPPoE)  with linux?I just
> installed fedora 4 today on my laptop(dell 9200m) as
> dual boot and cannot connect to the internet.It's quite possible im
> messing something up here because I'm new to linux. It picks up eth0
> and my xDSL connection. Both are listed as active but still
> no email or internet. I thought it may have been the firewall and did
> a service iptables stop but to no results.  I tried pinging another
> machine and it's unable to do so. Everything works fine on winxp and
> the network connections are set to obtain IP and DNS automatically.
>
> If anyone can offer some insight it would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks!

Try the below link to get you started. I setup someone on the XP side
using the supplied disks. It took so long connecting to the internet via
first time setup, I dared not venture into getting Linux to work there
personally.
PPPoE uses an IP address that has limited conectivity. Then it does some
PPP stuff that I have no idea with some porthole device or something.

http://www.linuxathome.net/pppoe.php

Good luck, I did a google search for "pppoe setup on linux" . I believe
that adding PPPoE might flag some that have successfully setup PPPoE.

Jim