Mounting DOS discettes in FC4

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Sun Jun 26 16:12:51 UTC 2005

Am So, den 26.06.2005 schrieb Uno Engborg um 14:01:

> I have problem mounting MS-DOS discettes from Gnome. The discettes are
> handled by an USB discette unit from Acer.
> The unit seams to be recognized when connected, as the drive makes some
> sounds indicating that it is trying to read the discette, and the Gnome
> icon in the Computer folder changes to a disk with an USB stick.
>
> However, when I double click the disk it refuses to mount. The error
> dialog tells me that it need to know the file system type.
>
> The same thing happens from the command line if I do
>
> mount /dev/sda /mnt
>
> but if  I do
> mount -t vfat /dev/sda /mount
> everything works fine.
>
> I do have vfat listed in  /etc/filesystems, so why do I need to specify
> the filesystem  type?
>
> Any suggestions on what I'm  doing wrong, or is this a bug?

> Uno Engborg

This is normal behaviour of the mount command. You always have to
specific a filesystem. This is not necessary only when an according
fstab entry exists which has the instruction which filesystem to be
used. So you may add to your /etc/fstab

/dev/sda                /media/usbfloppy           vfat
pamconsole,exec,noauto,managed 0 0

(instead of "vfat" "auto" may work)

Then you are able to mount the USB connected floppy by running "mount
/dev/sda", or from nautilus too. Make sure the mountpoint exists.

Alexander

Serendipity 18:07:29 up 1 day, 59 users, load average: 0.11, 0.17, 0.23