Mail Server Help

Gordon Messmer yinyang at eburg.com
Sun Jun 26 19:57:57 UTC 2005

Ahmed Abdel-Aliem wrote:
> i like to be able to send emails from my computer directly, i used to
> do this in windows using "free smtp" program, but i don't know how to
> do it in linux

FC4 installs "sendmail" by default, in a configuration that will work
for you.  All you have to do is configure your email client to use
"localhost" as the email server.

However, I don't recommend that you do that.  More and more sites are
blocking email from "dial-up" lines (including DSL and cable connected
hosts) as nearly all of the mail that comes directly from them is spam
sent out by hacked Windows machines.  You're better off using your ISP's
email server.