FC3>FC4 Upgrade Install Doesn't Find Existing Installation

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Sun Jun 26 21:35:07 UTC 2005

Andy Schlei wrote:

> I am trying to upgrade FC3>FC4.  I have booted from the boot.iso CD
> (burned) and am installing from HTTP with the source loaded on another
> machine on my local network.
>
> My problem is that the installer does not find any existing
> implementation of Fedora, so goes into the new install path rather
> than the upgrade path.  I have successfully upgraded a FC3 machine
> using this same approach (the test machine, which is now the source
> for the HTTP install) and the same CD.
>
> I have faiirly standard partitioning using LVM.

This happened to me with an earlier installation. I backed up my
important information and reinstalled using the tried and true normal
partitioning scheme
vs. lvm. I thought, this is great, using LVM as default, then fail to
recognize this during the next installation.

Sorry no help.  I had this happen to me during a test installation.

I recall someone speaking of a trick they used by allowing the previous
installation CD to boot up to media test, then swap discs to the FC4
disc and proceed with the installation. I don't recall if this problem
was overcome or not using this method.

Jim

--
All great discoveries are made by mistake.
		-- Young