FC3>FC4 Upgrade Install Doesn't Find Existing Installation

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Sun Jun 26 22:53:31 UTC 2005

Andy Schlei wrote:

> Jim Cornette Wrote:
>
>> This happened to me with an earlier installation. I backed up my
>> important information and reinstalled using the tried and true normal
>> partitioning scheme
>
> ?vs. lvm. I thought, this is great, using LVM as default, then fail to
> recognize this during the next installation.
>

>> Sorry no help.  I had this happen to me during a test installation.
>>
>> I recall someone speaking of a trick they used by allowing the
>> the FC4 disc and proceed with the installation. I don't recall if
>> this problem was overcome or not using this method.
>>
>> Jim
>

> My test machine updated fine with LVM so I don't think that is the
> problem.  I also tried the upgrade using the DVD and got the same
> error.  It would be a major pain to re-install as this machine is my
> primary server.
>
> Thanks,
>
> --Andy

The computer that I had trouble with not recognizing the existing
install within an LVM is an HP laptop w/ an athlon processor. I could
upgrade via yum, up2date, etc but not with the installation discs. I
actually removed the disk containing the LVM and starting out new on a
fresh disk. I then copied the important information off the disk using a
USB hardrive case after getting the lvm to become accessable..

If you have the problem and I have seen this error, there is bound to be
a bug report regarding how to work around this malfunction.  I don't
think that everyone  would run away from LVM as I did.

On curiousity I have in regards to LVM is performance. I "seems" to be
slower with LVM vs. regular partitioning schemes. This is probably an
illusion though.

Jim

--
It seems a little silly now, but this country was founded as a protest
against taxation.