Becomin linux user ... the journey ... almost final part....

Vincent Arnoux vincent.arnoux at rfo.atmel.com
Mon Jun 27 12:07:40 UTC 2005

Hi,

. m a r c o s a u g u s t o a écrit :

>Mplayer rocks Benjamin! thanx for the tips! there's no gui but the
>keyboard deals with it..

Try to get and run gmplayer. This is the (skinnable) GUI part of Mplayer

>Hey, this should come together witch some of those player of there!! a
>grent thing for new users.... xmms too... ogg is better but there's
>lot of mp3 around...
>So.. i'm thinking, after I made all this stuff to please ex-win users,
>there's some way to put all this together in a .RPM ?
>grab-this-winoob.rpm ?

For this, you can check a tutorial on how to make RPMs, there are many
around.

>Uptading :
>
>[x]  file editor with php support (screem but not yet figured out how
>do dowload files from ftp)
>does NVU have ftp sync options ? and syntaxe highlighting
>[x]  amule for p2p needs (thanx do Teo, Joel , Alexander)
>[x]  xmms for mp3
>[x] mplayer for videos
>[x] k3b disc burn
>
>non open source:
>[ ] corel ? no one ? wine corel 12? use corel 9 for linux ? the
>versions are the same ? I mean.
>corel 9 was around 1999...
>[ ] flash

Do you mean Flash plugin or Macromedia suite ?

>[ ] FONTS - almost forget... how to bring my thousand of fonts to fc4?

Just open Nautilus and type "fonts://" in the address bar. Yuo will be
brought to a "special" directory. Just copy all your fonts into it.

>Sorry for so many asks, but I actually work in publicity/marketing of
>small company that buy parts and sell pcs. Theres lots of requests
>about a machines without windows here, in special now our governament
>lauched a project calld "PC POPULAR" something like PEOPLE-PC , I
>think its a wonderful idea... maybe I'm not wrong, they will be puttin
>a brasilian version of linux, called kurumim....(boots from cd) but I
>believe in fedora... and want to put it in those computers we are
>planning to sell.

If you are looking at another user-friendly distribution, give an eye to
Mandriva (that I think has included the Brazilian team of developers)

Vincent