Whine - I want my console back

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Tue Jun 28 02:55:15 UTC 2005

Michael Schwendt wrote:

>>>Ok :) Use "chattr +i" for the lib file - but write it down somewhere to
>>>remember, so you can revert this modification when there is a fixing
>>>update out.
>>>

>>Um, maybe it's easier and safer to remember to make the change with each
>>update if it is needed. And then I have an excuse to embarrass folks if
>>they do not fold this into the next set of xorg-X11 fixes.
>>
>>{^,-}   (Hey, I have a reputation to uphold. I'm a fussy old biddy.)
>>

>Well, considering that I reported the problem on 2005-03-16 for FC4 Test1
>already and many other users with different chipsets reported the same and
>similar issues later, I'm quite disappointed that so far there have not
>been any resources available to look into it.
>
>Since xorg-x11 6.8.2 is also an update for FC3 and doesn't suffer from the
>same symptoms, it smells quite like GCC 4.0.0 could be the culprit -- in
>ASM code maybe? We have not even been provided with X packages built
>without -O2 just for testing.
>
>The only thing which doesn't make me feel fed up with FC4 with regard to
>this is the libvgahw.a work-around.  No virtual consoles for several
>graphics chipsets is a blocker, IMHO.

With the original problem that I noticed on an Intel (Blue border)  vs.
the MGA with a green border, someone closer to  the source commented on
a  file called  xf86Mode.c having an influence on the problem.

An excerpt from bug 3557 0n freedesk.org is below. The reasoning for the
borders sounds solid to me.

Jim

Yes, the blue borders is quite funny really. But it has nothing to do with
vgaHW, it has however to do with xf86Mode.c imposing old VGA blanking length
restrictions. The blue actually is the result of a wrong setup of the overscan
colour or palette. The blanking limit was worked around by overscanning, which,
when decently set up, tends to be black. But overscanning is archaic and might
confuse output devices depending on a blank signal.

--
Anyone who stands out in the middle of a road looks like roadkill to me.
        -- Linus Torvalds