Website/FTP Management

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Tue Jun 28 14:54:59 UTC 2005

Jonathan Allen writes:

> Hi All,
>
> Can anyone recommend a good package for maintaining a remote website
> using FTP ?  I manage several websites, keeping the 'master' on my FC3
> machine - what I need is a way to have the remote website look like a
> mirror of my master tree.  I looked at the 'mirror' package, but it
> works exactly the other way round.
>
> Any good recommendations ?

Unless you're using FTP over SSL, you're transmitting your login password in
cleartext.  That's a bit risky.

I use three ways to do something like this:

1) rsync with ssh: "rsync -a -v --delete-after" works nicely.

2) cvs with ssh.

3) A modified approach with cvs and ssh.  Run a hacked cvs inside a chroot
jail, with read-only access to the repository.  The web server checks stuff
out via cvs.  To update the web site: "ssh hostname cvs update", more or
less.  This works only if everything on the web site is publicly accessible.
You shouldn't do this if there's some stuff that should not be seen by
everyone.

With cvs you get an added bonus of revision tracking.