Some things that used to work in FC3 but don't in FC4: ACPI

Matthew Saltzman mjs at ces.clemson.edu
Tue Jun 28 15:42:20 UTC 2005

The ACPI scripts for my Thinkpad don't work as they used to.  For example,
the script I use to turn off the backlight touches or removes a file to
indicate whether the backlight is on or off.  In FC4, the script is
apparently not allowed to touch the file in either /etc/acpi/actions
(where it used to) or even in /var/tmp (where I changed it to).

Also, radeontool appears to fail to detect the Radeon in lspci when run
form the script, but it works fine when run from the command line as root.
The error is different from the one that usually occurs when running
radeontool as non-root, which is "can't open /dev/mem Are you root?"
This error is "Radeon hardware not found in lspci output."

This issue also affects my suspend script, which is not permitted to write
to /proc/acpi/sleep.

Any ideas what's going on here?

Thanks.

--