Setting up a microphone

Angus Leeming angus.leeming at btopenworld.com
Tue Jun 28 17:40:24 UTC 2005

Can anyone offer any advice on how to get my microphone working on a Fedoda
Core 3 machine with a SiS SI7012 sound card? Sound output is fine, but I
have no input at all.

The microphone is a cheapo telephony headset plugged into the single (pink
if that matters!) mic port. Everything works well if I reboot the machine
under Windows.

I'm using the KDE frontend to FC3 rather than the Gnome equivalent.
krec records as expected from the out_soundcard.

I've fired up kmix and "unmuted" it. Volume level is "high".
aRts is in full-duplex mode.

However, when I attempt to record to krec, the VU-meter remains obstinately
unresponsive.

Any clues for a sound-newbie?
Angus