PXE boot disks

MW Mike Weiner (5028) MWeiner at ag.com
Wed Jun 29 15:17:48 UTC 2005

-----Original Message-----
From: fedora-list-bounces at redhat.com
[mailto:fedora-list-bounces at redhat.com] On Behalf Of MW Mike Weiner
(5028)
Sent: Wednesday, June 29, 2005 10:56 AM
To: For users of Fedora Core releases; marcel at mesa.nl
Subject: RE: PXE boot disks

I have been down this road before, but am running into some issues. OK,
what I am trying to do is create a "boot disk" such that someone in our
data center can simply stick the disk in the floppy, reboot the server
and it will boot off of that, and begin the kickstart install. So to
that end, I have the following in my syslinux.cfg:

default linux
prompt 1
timeout 600

display snake.msg

F1 boot.msg
F2 general.msg
F3 expert.msg
F4 param.msg
F5 rescue.msg
F7 snake.msg

DEFAULT linux
LABEL linux
KERNEL vmlinuz
APPEND ksdevice=eth0 console=tty0 load_ramdisk=1 prompt_ramdisk=0
initrd=initrd.img network ip=dhcp ks=nfs:10.10.232.54:/tftpboot/ks.cfg
selinux=0

However, when it boots off of the diskette, It ends up failing
complaining that it cannot mount / nor find /tmp/ks.cfg

--

Update, I changed the syslinux.cfg to say ks=floppy since I have the
ks.cfg on the local boot floppy. And that seems to get around that

BTW, I have all this working via PXE, the issue is that I would have to
have the person in the data center redo the BIOS' across all 450 odd
machines to get the PXE boot to work, and a boot disk seemed to be less
work to me, simply stick it in, rather than changing default BIOS
settings.

Any thoughts?

Michael Weiner