VI vs VIM and why won't it update...

Randall Shaw fedora at randallshaw.com
Wed Jun 29 15:39:20 UTC 2005

FC3.i386

Today I finally got tired of using a very wimpy, thin VI editor than I am
used too. Our other servers run a vi editor that has all sorts of features,
some of which I love, being the autocmd's and coloring.

So, I do:

[bink]# vi --version
VIM - Vi IMproved 6.3 (2004 June 7, compiled Oct 19 2004 17:19:36)
Included patches: 1-21, 23-24, 26, 28-30
Tiny version without GUI.  Features included (+) or not (-):

BAH! So... I hit yum with a search, and see I need vim-enhanced:
[bink]# yum install vim-enhanced
(Which of course installs the vim-common dependency)

However, when I do a version check on vi again, its still the same! So I
thought "Yum didn't do anything?" Out of curiosity... I do a whereis on
"vim" ... I have never actually ever had to type "vim" as the command to use
the editor, neither here on this Fedora box, nor on our redhat, and
yellowdog boxes.

I looked at the file anyhow, and did:
[bink]# vim --version
VIM - Vi IMproved 6.3 (2004 June 7, compiled Jan 11 2005 10:59:56)
Included patches: 1-21, 23-24, 26, 28-34, 36-37, 39-40, 42-43, 45-46, 49-51,
54
Huge version without GUI.  Features included (+) or not (-):

Ok... So it DID install, but then why is there an old 'vi' still lingering,
and it wasn¹t changed with the new code?

I guess I am confused by this program and how it is supposed to be
installed. I would have figured yum put the files in the right place, and
adjust what needed to be adjusted for it to work as expected.

So... What could I do at this point? Do I simply "mv /usr/bin/vim /bin/vi" ?
Or is that like the worst thing I could do, hehehe. Or, worst yet... Retrain
my fingers to type "vim" instead of "vi" ?? OMG NO!

-Randall Shaw