X Window Color Problem with Fedora Core 2

Mike McCarty mike.mccarty at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jun 29 21:42:10 UTC 2005

Recently I began having a problem with X Window and Fedora
Core 2. Various applications (xscreensaver, xterm, others)
are displaying this message:

<program>: can't parse color: e6e6e6
<program>: can't parse color: 000000

I am using Gnome GTK 2.0 with BlueCurve as the theme. I have
found two files with e6e6e6 in them, specifying colors, but
each has "#e6e6e6", not just "e6e6e6". For example, in
/usr/share/themes/Bluecurve/gtk-2.0/gtkrc is the line

     bg[NORMAL]     =     "#e6e6e6"

I do not have a $HOME/.Xresources file. I have not edited
/etc/X11/Xresources, and it has only this in it:

! This is the global resources file that is loaded when
! all users log in, as well as for the login screen

! Fix the Xft dpi to 96; this prevents tiny fonts
! or HUGE fonts depending on the screen size.
Xft.dpi: 96

! hintstyle: medium means that (for Postscript fonts) we
! position the stems for maximum constrast and consistency
! but don't force the stems to integral widths. hintnone,
! hintslight, and hintfull are the other possibilities.
Xft.hintstyle: hintmedium
Xft.hinting: true

I have read the startup scripts to the best of my ability,
and the only two files I can find that might affect X
are $HOME/.Xresources and /etc/X11/Xresources.

I have tried doing a "xrdb -query -all > xfix.txt" and editing
the resulting file to put "#" in front of all the "e6e6e6"
and "000000" strings in there (quite a few), and then doing
"xrdb -nocpp xfix.txt"

This fixes xterm, but not xscreensaver, and only until the next boot,
when I have to go through it all over again.

As a temporary workaround, I have edited /usr/lib/X11R6/rgb.txt
to have lines

 230 230 230  e6e6e6
   0   0   0  000000

so those "colors" are now recognized, and come out as intended,
but this can't be right.

I have no $HOME/.profile
The only things my $HOME/.bashrc does is export some path names.

As root, I did a "find" with "grep" for "xrdb", and found several
scripts which use it (like /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc and
/etc/X11/gdm/Init/:0), but they only use either $HOME/.Xresources
or /etc/X11/Xresources

Can anyone give me some insight on what is wrong, and what I can
do to fix it?

I am not an X Window guru, nor a Linux guru, nor a Gnome guru.
All help appreciated.

Thanks so much for your time and consideration.

Mike