FC4 + SyncMaster 171S + intel 815 card problems

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Wed Jun 29 23:24:14 UTC 2005

C.F. Scheidecker Antunes wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I've just replaced my monitor to a SyncMaster 171S LCD one and
> upgraded my box to FC4.
> Although it is properly detected it does not work well. If I am to use
> the 1280x1024 resolution, which is the standard for this monitor, I
> have the picture fiting perfectly but I also have vertical lines as it
> seems the frequency is not ok. Well, the monitor is 1280x1024 at 60Hz
> with horizontal frequency of 30-81 KHz and Vertical frequency of 56~76
> Hz. I've tried to mess with X config file as well but I still have the
> same problem. If I try a better resolution say 1400x1050 the lines are
> no longer there but the monitor image does not fit the screen
> verticaly and there is no way on this monitor to change the vertical
> size, only the horizontal.
>

> What shall I do with the i815 video card machine? Any ideas other than
> putting another card?

First a question, if you ctl-alt-Fn to another terminal, do you get a
blue border? If so, you might try to replace the libvgahw.a file that
was previously discussed. If you already replaced the file, I have no
clue as to a resolution to your problem.
With the computer that I have that contains an Intel 815 card, I run
1280x1025 at 24 and do not see any problems on a CRT display with similar
resolution. I did not see the vertical lines on my display as you
descrivbed, even before replacing the libvgahw.a file.

Jim

--
You cannot achieve the impossible without attempting the absurd.