Batch creation of PDF files

John Summerfied debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Thu Jun 30 00:44:16 UTC 2005

Deron Meranda wrote:
>>Python is one of those things I must learn one day and keep promising
>>myself I will RSN. However, I can code shell scripts and Perl, and
>>whenever I have a Q&D job to do, it's so easy to reuse what one knows.
>

> Nothing wrong with using what works.  But you do owe it to yourself to
> take Python for a drive.  It's a very easy and quick language to learn,
> primarily because there's very few exceptions or special cases or weird
> syntax rules.

Sadly, so many of the languages that I learned when they were "the best"
I've left behind me:
Fortran (I discovered in '91 how much I'd forgotten)
COBOL
cbasic
PL/1 (I discovered in 2001 that I wasn't too rusty, but PL/1 wasn't as
good as it might have been)
Pascal
Assembler (various)
Natural
etc.

> Specifically for the Perl guy looking to see what's all the fuss with
> Python, you should read the article by Eric Raymond:
> http://pythonology.org/success&story=esr

Yeah, I've read that one.

>>Against Java in particular and Python is that I'm using Regular
>>Expressions, and unless REs have surfaced in Java since I learned it,
>>that's an after-market addon, and while I expect Python can do them, I
>>really don't want to confuse myself with yet another implementation of REs.
>

> Java is a low-level langauage and not very comparable to the so-called
> "scripting" languages like Perl, Python, or Ruby.
I quite understand that, but it is more portable than many, fairly easy
to code and much safer to use than C or even C++.

> Python does have really nice REs.  Probably not quite as powerful as
> Perl, but close, and perhaps not as "dense".  Python's REa are quite
> respectable and pretty easy, especially when combined with many other
> Pythonic techniques: http://docs.python.org/lib/module-re.html
>

> Good luck with the PDF thing.  BTW, you may still want to look at
> ReportLab if you're itching to dive into Python at some point.  Unlike
> most PDF toolkits, ReportLab is surprisingly high-level and lets you
> do some very impressive things quickly with very little code.

I must. Reportlab is one of the toys I downloaded.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait