chvt fails if run from acpid event handlers - and external scripts can't be called (why?)

Stephen Smalley sds at tycho.nsa.gov
Thu Jun 30 12:18:32 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-06-30 at 13:00 +0200, Vincenzo Ciancia wrote:
> Hi all, I have a bug which I can't trace back, but it happens that kwin
> starts using 99% of my cpu power, and I have to kill and restart it. The
> only thing that works is the power down button.
>
> So I first thought to write a script that kills kwin and restarts it. But I
> can't seem to be able to call an external script from an acpid handler -
> might this be due to selinux or something? - it says "permission denied".
>
> I tried to simply put "chvt 1" in the event handler but it says "Couldnt get
> a file descriptor referring to the console" and I really am upset :) I can
> shutdown the machine but I can't switch my foreground console.
>
> Can someone please give an hint?

Check /var/log/audit/audit.log (FC4) or /var/log/messages (FC3) for avc:
denied messages.  Those are the SELinux log messages when it produces a
denial.  Report such messages to fedora-selinux-list, along with any
surrounding audit messages that may be related.

--
Stephen Smalley
National Security Agency