Browsers for those IE-only sites

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Thu Jun 30 15:58:06 UTC 2005

On 6/30/05, Bruno Wolff III <bruno at wolff.to> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 29, 2005 at 01:10:56 +0200,
> > I can understand Ety's frustration with Fedora. In her opinion, all
> > her friends computers work, why doesn't ours? The
> > spyware-virii-security argument doesn't cut it when she can't do the
> > simple things she needs- like sending an email! And for her switching
> > emails accounts is out of the question (there are no other good Hebrew
> > email providers). Will these stupid website finally force her (and, of
> > course, her faithful) back into the world of windows?
>
> Why don't you run your own mail server?

The point was that she needs access to her walla.co.il email address
(web based). I actually agree with her reasons not to change it. But
she cannot access it through konquerer, firefox, or opera! I set up
wine and run IE 6 for hee, so she's happy- well, almost.

She still needs to boot into WinXP in order to to her work for the
university. I'll soon get Words running in wine, though, I hope. But
that won't change- her professor requires a stupid size/spacing/font
conbination and won't grade papers that don't meet those requirements.
The best I could offer her on Fedora was to write in OO and copy into
Word, but that is just creating more work, not removing work. And OO
(1.x) doesn't come close to the experience that she's used to in Word.
We'll see how OO 2 does.

Anyway, to get back on topic, if anyone knows of another browser (not
KHTML/opera/mozilla/lynx) then I'd love to hear about it. But I don't
have my hopes up.

Dotan Cohen
http://lyricslist.com/lyrics/artist_albums/416/queen.php
Queen Song Lyrics