Install problem

John Summerfied debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Thu Jun 30 17:46:39 UTC 2005

Ugo Bellavance wrote:
> Hi,
>
> 	I tried installing FC4 and it terminates with an exception.  Anaconda
> tells me to copy that and submit a bug, but the error message is quite
> long.  I was wondering if there was a way in the install to paste the
> error message (I could copy it) in a file so that I can send it
> somewhere (via ftp, scp?).  It was a graphical install and the error
> message looked like a pythin backtrace.

It used to be possible to put it on a floppy - not easy of you don't
have one.

Given another computer and a null-modem cable, you can install using a
remote console and so log the entire process with a terminal program
such as minicom.

I think there's also a trick to make the graphical install display
remotely. On your other Linux box (in X), enter the command
xhost +
and at the boot prompt something akin to
DISPLAY=bilby.test.lan:0.0

There may be more options; read the docs looking for things such as VNC
and ssh/telnet.

btw I've had that traceback - back around RHL 7.3. In my case, I'd
specified something wrongly, and anaconda's exception handling is fairly
feeble, Or was then. Check the stack printout for anything you said.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait