Help installing Java

N. James Bridge james at xmas.demon.co.uk
Thu Jun 30 20:11:17 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-06-30 at 17:32 +0200, Uno Engborg wrote:
> Neal Wilkinson wrote:
>
> >I installed Java (jre1.5.0_04) and then went to
> >the /usr/lib/mozilla-1.7.8/plugins directory and did a ln
> >-s /usr/java/jre1.5.0_04/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so
> >and the link was created. When I try and run a Java app though it says
> >the plugin is not installed. Java is enabled in the browser as well.
> >

> Strange, that should work.
>
> Does it help to set environment variables like
> JAVA_HOME=/usr/java/jre1.5.0_04/
> or
> JRE_HOME=/usr/java/jre1.5.0_04/
>
> is it the right java that is in your PATH or LD_LIBRARY_PATH or
> /etc/ld.so.conf
> file
>
> Regards
> Uno Engborgs

Another possibility - did you perhaps put a space after "ns7"? The
instructions on the sun site put a line break at this point, so it is
easy to misread. I did, and got a link called libjavaplugin_oji.so in
the root directory, pointing at the ns7 folder. It didn't work,
obviously. With the correct link, everything worked as expected.

I know we are advised not to use the sun java. I have also read that
there are conflicts with names which can cause java to get uninstalled.
But is this such a big deal for someone who does not want to do
development and can easily reinstall the jre package? Or are there other
problems? I await issue 3 of Fedora weekly news with interest!

James