List Rules -- How about gmane?

David Hoffman dhoffman2004 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 1 18:16:44 UTC 2005

On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 13:04:55 -0500, beartooth <beartooth at adelphia.net> wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 20:47:30 -0700, James McKenzie wrote:
>
> > Here is the first edition of the List Rules.
> >
> > The first thing is that I, like you, are a regular member of the list
> > but have read through many messages about 'netequitte' within this list.
> >
> > Just a couple of hints:
> [...]
> Many thanks, James, for a good start; strength to your arm.
>
> Possible title might be "Advice: some ways to get your post read" -- long,
> but it reads fast.
>
> I've read every post in the whole thread as of right now, and don't see
> the one thing I looked especially for : no one mentions gmane. I submit
> that any such collocation of helpfulness, whatever you/we call it, ought
> to.
>
> The reason is that gmane makes it especially feasible, for those of us who
> don't know squat about most of the discussion here, to pick out the topics
> that we do have some hope of using -- without exposing the list to any
> more extraneity than would appear anyway.
>
> The reader I know best, for example, threw up both hands in despair, years
> ago now, at the prospect of trying to pick out the usable parts of things
> like the phoebe list or the shrike list -- and turned off the
> subscriptions. I'd never have dared try Fedora in those days.
>
> As it is, however, I have three machines running FC1, one with FC2, and
> one with YDL4 -- all working, thanks in large part to the fact that gmane
> carries this list and others like it.
>
> By now, there must be some -- certainly including anyone I might advise --
> who *start* on gmane, and spare themselves the detour through email.
> Shouldn't the advice address them?
>
> --

There was a discussion about moving from a listserver format to a news
format last month, and there were a bunch of people who were against
that because they simply don't like going to a news reader to look at
these messages.

That being said, gmane does give people the flexibility to decide if
they want to use it or not.

I don't think the issue is where or how you are going to read the
posts. The matter right now is trying to encourage people to look at
archives before posting questions, and posting their questions in a
matter that makes it easier to search for them later.

The most recent subject we have been discussing is the concept of
changing a subject line to indicate a resolution for a problem. While
that might work in a forum type environment, it still causes there to
be multiple threads resulting from the same issue. Even gmane breaks
threads like this sometimes.

--

David
Registered Linux User 383030 (since everyone else was doing it 8-)