FC3 max memory

Alexander Lazarevich alazarev at itg.uiuc.edu
Thu Mar 3 15:48:49 UTC 2005

On Thu, 3 Mar 2005, Mogens Kjaer wrote:

> Alexander Lazarevich wrote:
>> [root at blah root]# uname -a
>> Linux blah 2.6.10-1.741_FC3smp #1 SMP Thu Jan 13 16:58:29 EST 2005 x86_64
>> x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
>>
>> Hardware is Tyan 2885 mobo, two opteron 244 procs in it. Right now the
>> system has 4GB of memory installed:
>>
>> [root at hofmann license]# cat /proc/meminfo
>> MemTotal:      3607440 kB
>
> Very strange.

I agree. Especially since the memory works just fine in a similar system.

> I have an Intel Xeon EM64T machine with 4G running FC3 x86_64:
>
> cat /proc/meminfo
> MemTotal:      4038556 kB
>
> So what happened to the 400M in your machine?

Good question, must be some app doing that. Researving mem at kernel boot?

> What kind of graphics does your machine have?

Right now it's a GeForce 4. We are upgrading to a Quadro FX3000 though,
because we run a high end rendering app on this workstation and we need
more memory and better graphics support.

Alex