mkisofs file size restrictions

Mogens Kjaer mk at crc.dk
Fri Mar 4 17:11:32 UTC 2005

Maxim Eremeev wrote:

> I know that the question was discussed here, however, I did not find
> the answers quite clear. So once again:
> is it possible to burn a file larger than 4GB on a DVD? Right now, I
> can not find any solution: mkisofs would just ignore such a file. It
> was suggested here to pass a '-udf' option but it did not help me
> either.

Does it have to be an ISO file system?

If you have one big .tar.gz file, just burn it
to the DVD without running through mkisofs.

The tar archive is then read in again using

tar zxvf /dev/hdc

or whatever your DVD drive is named.

Mogens

Phone: +45 33 27 53 25, Fax: +45 33 27 47 08
Email: mk at crc.dk Homepage: http://www.crc.dk