Is Linux really faster than MS Windows ?

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Sat Mar 5 20:34:57 UTC 2005

On 03/05/2005 12:12:56 PM, Rob Miracle wrote:

> On MY LAPTOP, I can watch it pump the wireless card AFTER login.  I
> watch it use DHCP to get its address.  That card is not live until
> after boot.  On my linux box, it DHCP's before the login.   If your
> wired and sharing resources, sure, that happens before the login
> prompt.  But I never said that.  I also said it doesn't attempt to
> mount network drives until after login.  It can't.  Windows
> networking requires knowing who you are because you have to login
> into the remote host.  It can't do that until it knows who you are.
> Windows can make its shared resources avaialble before login because
> it doesn't matter who is going to logon but it will not attempt to
> map your network drives until you login.
>
> Completly wrong?

That was my experience with PPPoE because it required user
authentication. I could find no way to get it to dial the PPPoE before
I logged in. After a lot of searching, I did find a script that would
do that - dial your PPPoE and authenticate as a system service - but
the guy wanted money for it. I wish I knew more about Windows services
because I didn't want to pay for what (at least should be) is something
trivial (I assume it's just a batch file or something) - but I rarely
use Windows, so I have no motive to learn how to do that stuff.

With respect to Windows being rock solid - it is, XP has never crashed
on me that wasn't a hardware failure that would have taken down any OS
(well, any OS on hardware without redundancy) - though unfortunately I
bought XP Home figuring I didn't need the server crap, but apparently
XP Pro makes life a lot easier - like taking ownership and stuff like
that.

Also - Linux doesn't have a heart attack if you change the motherboard
chipset completely. Kudzu just adapts - and often succesfully migrates
network settings etc. (though, and no fault of kudzu here, it doesn't
get the interfaces in the order you want them - so when I swap a mobo
in Linux, I let kudzu do its thing and THEN attach the network cables)

Linux really is just far more advanced than Windows with stuff like
that. Admittedly, though - that is a geek thing to do (replace a
motherboard), most consumers just buy a new PC when old board (or cpu)
dies. Or pay to have it swapped out.

--
Michael A. Peters
http://mpeters.us/