ndiswrapper

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Sun Mar 6 10:18:56 UTC 2005

On 03/06/2005 01:51:14 AM, markus frei wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm not sure if this is the correct list for this.
>
> I'm using ndiswrapper (http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net) to get my
> d-link
> awl +650 card running with my fc3 notebook. Whenever I upgrade my
> kernel I
> have to reinstall ndiswrapper. Might it not be possible to make this
> standard module for future kernels?

I think the issue is that it emulates some windows stuff in order to
work and might therefore violate some patents that MS holds.

It might however show up in rpm.livna.org (I don't see it there
currently) - and there's a good chance it is in dag or one of those.

I have a similar thing with madwifi - fortunately, there is a src.rpm
in rpm.livna.org bugzilla for madwifi - so after a kernel update, I can
rebuild the driver targeting the new kernel and install it before I
ever reboot.

There might be such a thing for ndiswrapper, or you could probably
script that yourself w/o too much effort. It is unfortunate though that
we have to go through just because we need drivers that are not in the
kernel proper (and may never be due to various reasons).

--
Michael A. Peters
http://mpeters.us/