LAN to WAN on FC3

Claude Jones claude_jones at levitjames.com
Mon Mar 7 17:14:35 UTC 2005

Alexander Dalloz wrote:
| Am So, den 06.03.2005 schrieb Claude Jones um 23:52:
|| Below is my DHCPD.conf file.
|| ddns-update-style interim;
|| ignore client-updates;
|| subnet 192.168.2.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
|| # --- default gateway
||     option routers            192.168.2.1;
||     option subnet-mask        255.255.255.0;
|| #    option nis-domain        "domain.org";
||     option domain-name        viewridgeproductions;
|| #    option domain-name-servers    209.249.226.25;
Snip...
||  From the LAN I can ping the WAN nic. There things stop. I
|| can't ping anything beyond from inside. I can't get to any
|| websites from inside. I can't get to my own site from the LAN,
|| even though it's serving up my test page to all the world.
|| Does some have an idea what I'm overlooking?
|
| Enable the domain-name-servers option. Be sure you have
| forwarding on and enabled masquerading through iptables. A
| short setup howto:
|
| http://www.fedoranews.org/ghenry/gateway/

I'm having a problem understanding exactly what DNS servers should
be listed in domain-servers-option - do I list the servers
associated with my ISP? Or do I list the wan nic's IP address,
which has DNS servers associated with its configuration? Every
article/howto I've read leaves this issue very vague, and the
various articles I've read have had contradictory examples. I got
ahead of myself yesterday, and forgot that I had not set dhcpd to
start on boot, which is why I couldn't reach my site from the LAN
- that now works, but, I'm still not able to get the WAN from my
LAN.

On forwarding and NAT, isn't masquerading only for situations
where your own IP is dynamically assigned each time you connect?
I'm on wireless broadband with a fixed IP. The info in the link
you've suggested, above, is only partly useful because it's not up
date, and things aren't named the same way, now, and some other
things are slightly different. Because of my still very limited
understanding of Linux, it gets very difficult to translate older
instructions to the latest implementation. Thanks for your
suggestions. More would be gratefully accepted.

Claude Jones
Levit & James, Inc./WTVS
Leesburg, VA, USA