System-config-packages: (Was Re: Looking for two files)

David Curry dsccable at comcast.net
Tue Mar 8 22:36:20 UTC 2005

William Hooper wrote:

>System-config-packages doesn't work reliably after you have install any
>updates.  Use your favorite depsolver (apt, yum up2date) instead.

The fact that William stated above has been noted several times on the list.

Question:  Why has it remained true?   Is an update to correct the
problem underway?

The unreliability of system-config-packages is a clear user friendliness
deficiency.  Further, continuing presence of "Add/remove Applications"
in the Gnome popup menu (Red Hat -> System Settings -> Add/remove)  to
initiate system-config-packages is deceptive, misleading new users and
prompting continuing streams of questions on fedora-list.

The only rational justification for including the "Add/remove
Applications" item in a menu anywhere on a Fedora Core system is for
testing the reliability of the utility.   If patches/upgrades to
system-config-packages are not to be expected within a release, I don't
believe the utility should be included in another Fedora Core release
until it can reliably install/remove packages both before and after
system updates.