Setting up 2 physical redundant servers

rado rado at rivers-bend.com
Thu Mar 10 15:25:50 UTC 2005

> Bob Chiodini wrote this in another thread.
>
> I don't know how the Zoom modem handles the port forwarding, that is,
> whether it relies strictly on learned MAC address or IP, and how long is
> it's ARP cache timeout.  We use a combination of shell scripts, ping and
> ifconfig with IP address aliasing for redundant MRTG machines.
>
> You might look into some of the High Availability (HA) techniques for
> linux.  That is, if you are looking for redundancy and not load sharing.
> Load sharing through port forwarding (virtual servers) might get a
> little complicated and would probably be best served with a second DSL
> line and dedicated address.  Then let DNS handle it.
>
> Bob...
Thx for this Bob,

Before I start, just wanna tell you that I am really gringo, I know
enough about this to get me in trouble...next to nothing. But I want to
do this just to do this. The questions I might ask might seem very
elementary because of my ignorance.

Ok, I do want to make the machines redundant so load sharing is not an
issue here. Sure I would like to learn bout it but whoa...not now.

this zoom router: The Virtual Server Config has in it the following:
ID      Public Port  Private Port   TCP/UDP   Private Address
1           53           53           TCP       10.0.0.10
2           80           80           TCP       10.0.0.10
3           25           25           TCP       10.0.0.10
4           21           21           TCP       10.0.0.10
5           20           20           TCP       10.0.0.10
6           53           53           UDP       10.0.0.10

this was what was in it that I had entered a long time ago.
yesterday I just added the following:

1           53           53           TCP       10.0.0.12
2           80           80           TCP       10.0.0.12
3           25           25           TCP       10.0.0.12
4           21           21           TCP       10.0.0.12
5           20           20           TCP       10.0.0.12
6           53           53           UDP       10.0.0.12

sure, I am able to send recieve mail now also in 10.0.0.12 among other
things really but don't you agree that this is wrong?

I really think that when this modem receives a hit for
209.205.179.141:80 let's say, there should only be one private ip w/port
80 listed. Is this correct thinking on handling this considering what I
my simple setup will consist of?

the equipment relevant:
Both boxes have 2 128G Hds... rbmain1 fc2, HDs not raided yet.
                              rbmain2 fc3, HDs are raided.

I need direction...step by step to accomplish the redundancy etc.
lol first step is to learn all the new terms that bob stated above.

thx
John Rose
--
You ever notice the expression on your neighbor's face when you start
talking about linux?