FC3: lp0 on fire

Mike Klinke lsomike at futzin.com
Fri Mar 11 05:38:11 UTC 2005

On Thursday 10 March 2005 22:52, Jess Anderson wrote:
> I just noticed a syslog message from this morning:
>
> Mar 10 10:44:36 seth kernel: lp0 on fire
>
> Of course it wasn't, it had stopped because it was out of ink,
> which required powering it down to change the ink cartridge.
> Cute though it is, it's not the most useful message.

Welcome to Unix archeology. This message dates from the way back
days.  You can find the source code in:

/usr/src/redhat/BUILD/kernel-*/linux-*/drivers/char/lp.c

and change it if you like.  It's the "catchall" error; i.e. the
printer's not off-line, and it's not out of paper.  I suppose the
error message could have been:

"lp0: unknown error"

but I like the humor.

Regards, Mike Klinke