dns poisoning?

Mark Weaver mdw1982 at mdw1982.com
Sun Mar 13 13:57:41 UTC 2005

Felipe Alfaro Solana wrote:
> On 10 Mar 2005, at 03:08, Joel wrote:
>
>> I just tried to access bugzilla.redhat.com on a MSWxp box (Firefox) and
>> got a certificate dialog. (You know, "This certificate does not appear
>> to be valid. Etc." which is really poor wording, anyway.)
>>
>> I panicked and cancelled (good) without looking at the certificate first
>> (bad). Shut down Firefox. Went to my FC box and tried from there. Access
>> completed as it has in the past, redirecting me successfully to https
>> without any certificate dialog. So I tried again from the MSWxp box and
>> this time there was no certificate dialog. It connected me via ssl the
>> way it usually does.
>>
>> There was a lot of news yesterday about dns poisoning.
>>
>> Anyone else seen something like this?
>

> No.

from what I've been reading in E-week the last few weeks the sheer level
of spam and especially phishing thats going on over the Internet, it is
placing an inordinate amount of stress on existing DNS services around
the internet. The biggest contributing factor to this added load is the
fact that the majority of Mail servers are doing reverse DNS lookups on
messages coming in - many are failing which causes the mail service to
repeat the attempt until it reaches its break-point where it won't try
any more for that domain.

--
Mark
Linux User Since 1996