Fedora core 3 / XP dual boot

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Sun Mar 13 14:56:07 UTC 2005

Irving, Dave wrote:
>> I haven't had much luck using qtparted on two different computers.
>> I wanted to shrink my hardly used XP installation even more. I got
>> a similar error as you described above.
>
> After hunting for a bit, I found in the ntfsresize docs that the
> error I got was due to fs errors. I went back in to XP and scheduled
> a chkdsk on restart - which fixed a couple of errors. After that,
> qtparted ran fine for me.

Thanks! I'll have to run chkdsk on the partition and then try downsizing
the XP partition further. For the other computer where QTparted did not
work,  I might be able to do the same after a restore on the disk from
partimage. I blew it away, but kept the partimage backup, I wanted to
downsize the partition, but was not able to earlier.

>> One note about HP laptops: I need to pass acpi=on to my laptop to
>> get my system to boot properly.
>

>> This opption might help you with the problem booting the rescue CD.
>>  I include this option in all my grub.conf entries. Sometimes FC
>> turns off acpi and the computer refuses to boot.
>

> Thanks - I'll give that a whirl. Is that something I can set up at
> install time or just pass it on the boot line at start up?

Basically, this line is added in series with the rhgb quiet or whatever
you choose to add to the grub file. These options should be inherited
with each upgrade of the kernel from your previous kernel.

Regarding the other entry in the installer, this is just the name that
is default. The system would be fine if you changed it to anything.
Reboot frenzy would work just as other or DOS.

>> There is an option in HP BIOS that refers to USB legacy. You might
>> need to disable this option to prevent hanging systems when
>
> you do get FC running on your computer.
>

> Thanks - I'll try and switch that off :o)

I wa cutting down HP as making lousy laptops until someone pointed me to
this option earlier. If you get a screen where you cannot use your
keyboard on startup, it is because of this usb legacy setting in BIOS.

Jim

--
Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality.
-- Jules de Gaultier