rsync can't backup files and folders with a non English name

Barry Yu barryyupuilee at sbcglobal.net
Sun Mar 13 09:26:23 UTC 2005

Rahul Sundaram wrote:

>On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 22:31:06 +0800, Barry Yu
><barryyupuilee at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>

>>I run the rsync to back up a partition, what happened is that ; In the
>>source partition, any folder or file name with non English name (
>>Instead, some ??? marks will stand for name), will not be backed up into
>>the destination partition, the rsync complained that;
>> " ?????."  failed; No such file or directory (2).
>>The fact is that when I used the file browser to see those files or
>>folders with non-English (Traditional Chinese) names, name were replaced
>>with "?" marks.
>>Any one has work around to due with this?
>>

>please file a bug report in bugzilla.redhat.com against rsync

I think this is not a bug of rsync by fc3's problem, see below my other
post;

When using fc3 file browser, files and folders made by M$ Chinese
version are being displayed "????" or "??????.xls" "??????.doc" etc, so
I select the language in Taiwan Chinese and log out, then log in again
to make it come to effect, in command shell enter :
mount -o iocharset=cp950   /dev/hdg5  /mnt/ms
This time the file browser still display those names in Chinese with
some "?" and followed with"(invalid unicode)", can someone help ?