EMERGENCY - need to secure my server against an ongoing SPAMMER

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Mon Mar 14 14:46:10 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-03-14 at 04:08, Roger Grosswiler wrote:

> as soon as you don't need e-mails out of those ranges, it's quite helpful, i even blocked some ranges in the
> beginning. when i set up rbl-checking, i had to have patience for about 1 month, since then, i just have 2-3 attempts
> per day. RBL sorts in good quality good from bad traffic. Unfortunately, it doesn't block those zombies - perhaps
> infected by a worm.
>
> But, at least for those IP's you can save yourself also dns-traffic ;-)
>
> Roger

Another tool that defeats zombies almost 100% is greylisting.  Implement
greylisting and your system will not have to spend additional resources
running spamassassin or rbl checks on spam coming from zombie systems.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com

Everything that you know is wrong, but you can be straightened out.