Linux and windows install

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Tue Mar 15 12:42:37 UTC 2005

Francois wrote:
> Hello,
> I 've a brand new computer, with in it, two hard disks (one is 40 gig and
> the second one is 80 gigas) (ide)
> I need to install Windows and Linux.
> I plan to install Windows on the 40 gigas disk, and Linux on the 80 gigas.
> I would like to be able to start Linux or Windows using Grub.
> Questions :
> - What do I have to install first ? Windows XP or Linux FC3 ?

I would do Windows first. Otherwise it will overwrite your Linux bootloader.

> - Do I have to disconnect (unplug) one HD to be able to install the OS where
> I want ?

No. Do not do this because it will confuse your bootloader.

> - Is it possible to install Windows on the second HD ?

Yes, but it will want to be able to write at least *some* data (its
bootloader) to the "active" partition. It's simpler if Windows is
installed on the first disk.

> - When I have to install Grub, what do I have to choose ? the MBR or the
> first sector of the startup partition ?

If you want grub to be your main bootloader, install it on the MBR.

Paul.