Linux and windows install

Nils Holland nholland at tisys.org
Tue Mar 15 12:56:09 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-03-15 at 13:37 +0100, Francois wrote:

> - What do I have to install first ? Windows XP or Linux FC3 ?

Windows. It's a better idea to install that first and then Fedora.
Should work without a problem.

> - Do I have to disconnect (unplug) one HD to be able to install the OS where
> I want ?

No. Both the Windows installer as well as the Fedora installer will see
both of your hard disks and allow you to chose which one to use for the
install(s).

> - Is it possible to install Windows on the second HD ?

Somebody else might want to give more detail here, but the last time I
was confronted with this, it was better (or even the only possibility?)
to install Windows on the primary and Linux on the secondary hard disk.

> - When I have to install Grub, what do I have to choose ? the MBR or the

The MBR. This will make sure that Grub is the first thing you see upon
booting, so that you can select which OS you want to start.

All in all, I'd recommend this: Make the 40 GB hD the primary master and
the 80 GB HD the primary slave (or better secondary master) on your IDE
bus. First install Windows on the 40 GB thingy, then - after this is
working - install Fedora on the 80 GB drive. Let Grub install itself
into the MBR and everything should work fine.

Greetings,
Nils