CD-RW/DVD-ROM drive and device permission

Francois Ouellette fouellet at idirect.com
Tue Mar 15 13:04:20 UTC 2005

> From: Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org>
> Subject: Re: CD-RW/DVD-ROM drive and device permission
> > Whatever I put in /etc/fstab it always comes back as:
> >
> > /dev/hdc /media/cdrecorder auto pamconsole,ro,exec,noauto,managed 0 0
> >
> > and /dev/hdc is owned by root with a protection mask: brw-rw----
>
> That entry looks OK as long as you're not using SELinux.
>
> I think that all that needs to be done is to get udev to recognise your
> drive as a cdwriter and set up the appropriate link. Everything else
> should fix itself automagically after that.
>
> Try creating a file /etc/udev/rules.d/10-custom.rules containing the
> following line:
>
> BUS="ide", KERNEL="hdc", NAME="%k", SYMLINK="cdrom cdwriter dvd"
>
> I assume you have only one CD and/or DVD drive?
>
> Then see what you get after a reboot.
>
> Paul.

Hi again

No change...
Even without the rules entry the drive seems to works fine, there are
entries in /media, etc
What about the permissions.d in udev? The list includes a line that starts
with "cdroms/*", this might be the correct place to set the permission?

What I have done as a workaround is create a little script in rc5.d to set
the permission to /dev/hdc directly.

Thanks,

  François Ouellette
<fouellet at idirect.com>