OT: give advice to MSAccess user

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Wed Mar 16 15:45:12 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-03-16 at 10:14, Duncan Lithgow wrote:
> All advice received - let's look at postgreSQL instead. From the links
> people have posted the most interesting looks like
> http://www.hipergate.org/ which is a 'customer relationship
> manager' (urgg!)
>
> It looks very powerful and developed - however it's way overkill for
> what I want. I wouldn't mine writing my own front end- except I can't
> and have trouble believing that someone else hasn't made one as a simple
> 'contact database' with basic functions like making labels for envelopes
> - I start to wonder if I might be going for overkill even talking about
> using a database. Maybe I should just stick to a spreadsheet?
>
> Duncan

Go to http://sourceforge.net and put membership in the search field.
There appear to be a large number of membership database projects,
however only the first handful appear to have any activity.
Unfortunately most appear to be based on mysql.  But those projects may
be more on the scale of what you are looking for.

CRM databases are very different from a membership list database.

Writing a php front end for a database is not that difficult.  I even
found tools like Quanta+ helped with getting the web pages looking
fairly good and handled publishing the code to the web server very
nicely.

There are any number of good books describing how to write PHP code that
I have found very helpful.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com

There is no act of treachery or mean-ness of which a political party
is not capable; for in politics there is no honour.
		-- Benjamin Disraeli, "Vivian Grey"