Embedded machine with fc3

HaJo Schatz hajo at hajo.net
Wed Mar 16 16:41:15 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-03-15 at 12:26 +0000, Pete Savage wrote:
> Hi, I work in a school and want to make a help point using, fc3, being a
> very avid fc3 user.  I'm creating a point and click interface in html and
> using firefox.  I have some code to disable the right click.  but by doing
> some random button pressing, the little darlings can still get the command
> bar up down the bottom, and hence get into the system
> Is there a way to disable the application switching....they have no keyboard
> just a mouse...all I basically want is to totally disable them leaving
> mozilla an nothing else,
> any ideas !?
> Pete
If you really only need firefox (and there possibly only one window,
only leaving people the choice to open multiple tabs), you could:

- Create a GRUB boot entry to boot into runlevel 4 by adding "4" to the
respective "kernel"-line in /etc/grub.conf
- auto-login user "darling" on tty 6 in run-level 4 by adding
"darl:4:respawn"/sbin/mingetty --autologin darling tty6"
- Start a script in X when user darling logs in on tty6 by adding the
following to the end of /home/darling/.bash_profile:
  case "`tty`" in
    /dev/tty6) ~/startme.sh;;
  esac
- The script be firing up firefox in an X session and, upon termination
of firefox, automagically shutting down X, logging the user out (upon
which he'd be logged in again and the sequence start anew). You'd put
this into /home/darling/startme.sh:
#!/bin/bash
xinit /usr/bin/firefox
logout

You wouldn't get a WM that way, but do you really need one?

Your next task will be to possibly chrooting "darling", as an inclined
user can always do a "file-open" and just browse to anywhere within the
system path...

--
HaJo Schatz <hajo at hajo.net>
http://www.HaJo.Net