How to boot FC3 from a USB hard disk??

Antonio Montagnani anto.montagnani at virgilio.it
Sat Mar 19 08:54:40 UTC 2005

I start a new thread in order to lower noise as the previuos was
becoming too long.

I performed a installation on an external hard disk (Eide HD in a USB
enclosure)
Please note that I had to add the noacpi option to linux expert,
otherwise installation froze.

During installation I decided not to install Grub as my goal is to have
a system booting Linux when the external HD i sconnected otherwise
Windows must be started. No choices to the user....and I want to be
connect to any system (mainly laptops) and use Linux

When I rebooted the system, of course it didn't boot (USB booting is
available).

I tried to follow instructions at www.simonf.com/usb but I got lost.
When I issued the command
mkinitrd --preload=ehci-hcd --preload=usb-storage --preload=scsi_mod
--preload=sd_mod /boot/usbinitrd.img 2.6.9-1.667smp

I get the reply that /lib/modules/2.6.9-1.667smp is not a directory!!!

Where is my mistake??

And after that as I have no grub.conf to modify, what shall I have to do
to start Linux???

TNX

--

 Antonio M.

 Working with  Mozilla Thunderbird 0.9 on Redhat Linux Fedora Core 3