Installing MaPiVi

Patrick May patrick at pmmay.sytes.net
Wed Mar 23 19:58:51 UTC 2005

On Wed, Mar 23, 2005 at 12:47:56PM -0700, Kevin Kempter wrote:

> >I have tried 'perl mapivi072_Linux.exe' but get the error:
> >Unrecognized character \x7F at mapivi072_Linux.exe line 1.
> >
> >What am I doing wrong? Or is it not me?
> >
> >Dotan Cohen
> >
> >http://English-Lyrics.com/
> >http://Song-Lyriks.com/

This is just kind of a shot in the dark, but are you sure that isn't an
executable file of some kind? If it's a PERL script, then you should be able
to open it up in your favorite text editor and look at it. If it's a bunch of
weird symbols and "garbage" it's probably a binary.

Why anyone would name a binary for a Linux box .exe I have no clue. Most PERL
scripts would be .pl.

If the file is executable you can run it by prepending a ./ to the file name,
i.e. ./mapivi072_Linux.exe

Just found the project on Sourceforge and you got the Linux binary, the the
PERL part. I just did a cursory look.

To make the file executable "chmod +x mapivi072_Linux.exe" if it isn't
execuable. Check with ls -l mapivi072_Linux.exe.

Patrick