Lost network card - Solved

Claude Jones claude_jones at levitjames.com
Fri Mar 25 00:12:54 UTC 2005

Claude Jones wrote:
> I have a fairly brand new install of FC3 with all the latest
> patches. I replaced the on-board video with a Radeon 9200, today.
> When I came back up, the machine couldn't find the network card.
> It comes up inactive and it says it does not appear to be present
> if I try to activate it with the Network Configuration utility. If
> I remove it from the configuration in the same utility, Kudzu
> doesn't redetect it. If I select New\Ethernet Connnection, the
> list appears and seems to include the NIC, but if I re-add it and
> reconfigure it, I get back to the same error. I had changed a
> couple of video related BIOS settings when I put the RADEON in,
> and I just changed those back, but still the same. I'm sure this
> is something in my FC3 configuration because if I boot into
> Windows, the card comes up just fine.
> Help!

I solved this by deleting it in the Network Configuration utility, and
shutting down, removed the card, then restarted; Kudzu detected it was
gone and removed it; I rebooted back to the desktop, then shut down and
reactivated the NIC (it's a built-in configured on/off with BIOS
settings); when I came back up, Kudzu recognized it and let me configure
it.

Since this happenned right after installing the new video card, is it
safe to suspect that the new video card created an IRQ or other
resources conflict?

--
Claude Jones
Bluemont, VA, USA