Fragmentation?

Daniel Frerejacque daniel.frerejacque at normalesup.org
Fri Mar 25 07:03:30 UTC 2005

Deron Meranda wrote:

> That being said FC3 does come with a couple tools which
> may help diagnose particularly rare worst cases.
>
>   filefrag /path/to/some/file
>
> The filefrag command tells you how "fragmented" any particular
> file may be and if it is optimal or not.  I don't think there is any
> command which gives you an "average fragmentation" over the
> whole filesystem.

Well, the information given by Deron Meranda about
fragmentation should be given in any manual on ext2/3
file system, if any exist.
By the way, I didn't find a link to filefrag in
the manpage. e2fsck should point to filefrag.

Do you know about any other "hidden" tools like
filefrag?

Daniel Frerejacque