Hard Crashes Increasing, FC3

Rob Kirkbride rob.kirkbride at thales-is.com
Tue Mar 29 07:41:18 UTC 2005

Jess Anderson wrote on 25/03/2005 02:46:

>Scot L. Harris
>

>>Jess Anderson:
>>

>>>I have three slots and three 512MB DIMMs. What I did was run
>>>memtest three times, rotating the DIMMs (call 'em ABC) by one
>>>slot each time:
>>>

>>Why not pull one DIMM at a time an run memtest86? If you get a
>>clean pass then those two chips are good.
>>

>Ja, that's my plan.

I was getting crashing similar to yourself (often to do with ext3) I had
been grappling with my server starting to crash regularly (dual AMD
machine), ran memtest and everything was reported ok. I decided that my
CPUs were running a little hot so changed the fans on them. This
unfortunately did not cure the problem. I took a stick of ram out and
the server still fell over. I swapped the sticks over and its now been
running for several days (would generally crash once a day before).
Strangely I had a branded stick (crucial) and an unbranded one. Its the
branded one that caused me the problem!
I'd been tearing my hair out on this for ages - very annoying, hope
you're able to solve your problem too!

Rob